About Me

Of the many things in life that are worth being passionate about, there are a few on which my life seems to focus: cooking, writing, and transgender education & activism. This blog will, over time, become a place where these passions get together for a bite to eat. My recipes will focus on foods that are in season and available locally from where I live in upstate NY... but with occasional voyages into truly decadent and inexcusable foodstuffs. The musings that accompany the recipes are for entertainment purposes only.

20 September 2010

Grandmother's Texas Cauliflower

I had this a lot while I was growing up. My grandmother made it, my dad made it, my stepmother made it, I made it. We all made because it is simple, and it is good.

They all called it Texas Cauliflower: I assume that is because my grandfather grew up in Texas, and maybe had a lot of it while growing up (just like I did), and so that became its name. Though to tell you the truth, I don't know for sure. I never asked, which is actually a little strange because I just spoke with my grandmother on the phone yesterday.

Why didn't I ask her while I was standing there, talking on the phone with her, while I made it? Truth is, I didn't think of it until just now. This is partly due to the fact that I never called it Texas Cauliflower. Ever since I was a kid, surrounded by a family who call this dish "Texas Cauliflower," in the quiet recesses of my mind I always thought of it as Pizza Cauliflower.

I think, while typing this, that Pizza Cauliflower doesn't sound very classy or gourmet. But, then again, when I think of adjectives for Texas, I can't say that "classy" and "gourmet" are two of the first words to pop into my mind. I don't know. Call it whatever you want to: the bottom line is that it is simple, and it is good.

Grandmother's Texas Cauliflower
A big mound of easy-to-make cheesy yumminess
  • 1 large caulflower
  • 1 jar marinara, bolognese, or vodka sauce (or you can make your own, but c'mon, it's a simple cauliflower dish. Take it easy on yourself.)
  • 8-12 ounces sliced cheese, either mozzarella or sharp cheddar
  1. Cut the tough end of the stem out of the cauliflower. Wash and rinse the cauliflower thoroughly. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Steam the cauliflower stem down 10-15 minutes, until a fork inserted into the stem end goes in easily, but with some resistance: do not overcook, or you will have a bland, unappetizing lump of gooey mush.
  3. Place the cauliflower in a deep-dish pie pan. Cover with the sauce, then lay the slices of cheese over the surface. If desired, sprinkle some salt and freshly ground pepper over the top.
  4. Bake until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted and slightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment